World and Nationwide Coronavirus Updates:
Resources and Guidance from the State of Florida:
- Florida Department of Health Guidelines and Interactive Data Dashboard
- Florida Division of Emergency Management
- Florida Executive Orders from the Office of Governor DeSantis
Resources for Surplus Lines Insurers and Consumers:
- Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis’ COVID-19 Resources
- CFO Patronis’ COVID-19 Resources for Insurance Consumers
Florida Office of Insurance Regulation
The Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) issued INFORMATIONAL MEMORANDUM OIR-20-04M on March 25, encouraging insurers and regulated entities to be flexible with premium payments in order to avoid lapses in coverage. Such flexibility can include relaxing due dates, extending grace or reinstatement periods, waiving late fees and penalties and allowing payment plans. Regulated entities, agents, consumers, and employers are also strongly encouraged to explore virtual options for underwriting and adjusting claims in lieu of in-person property inspections and for premium audits of employers’ records. Regulated entities are also encouraged to accept electronic communications in lieu of handwritten and the OIR will accept electronic signatures and notarizations that comply with Florida statutes.
Florida Surplus Lines Service Office
The FSLSO is continuing to monitor all local, state, and federal mandates and guidelines on the Coronavirus outbreak and looks forward to continuing to serve the Florida surplus lines community and providing support and guidance through this difficult time. If you need to reach a specific person, visit FSLSO.com/Contact.
Resources for Florida Businesses:
Florida Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Program
This program is currently available to small business owners located in all Florida counties statewide that experienced economic damage as a result of COVID-19.
- U.S. Small Business Administration Guidance & Loan Resources
- Florida DEO Small Business Assistance
- IRS Tax Relief and Coronavirus
- Florida Department of Health Tips for Businesses
- Better Business Bureau Tips for COVID-19
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Business Resources
- Florida Chamber of Commerce, “Facts not Fear”
Many states have issued notices or bulletins that request or require accommodations for insureds during the COVID-19 crisis. WSIA has analyzed each of the statements from regulators and compiled a compliance chart of those states requesting or requiring a moratorium on cancellation and nonrenewal of policies or relaxation of premium due dates. You can find this information and more on the WSIA State COVID-19 Bulletins resource page.
# # #